The typical family today puts in a lot more hours a year at work than ever before—frequently by working at two or more jobs. So finding a balance between work and life can be complicated. But balance is essential to our well-being. Here are some ways to get on the right track:
• Simplify. Need help with housecleaning? Consider hiring a cleaning person once a month. Feel like you don’t have enough time? Say “no” to things you don’t want to do or don’t have time to do. Don’t make commitments unless they’re important to you.
• Be grateful. Even in the midst of the most hectic and stressful times of life, there are things for which we can be thankful. Reflecting on the good things in our lives helps keep an all-important balance in our outlook.
• Play with your kids. Get down in the dirt and help the kids make mud pies, watch a movie with them, have a long chat over coffee with your teen, and so forth. Give your family more one-on-one time.
• Pay attention to your health. Maintain a sensible diet and a consistent exercise schedule. If you don’t stay healthy, you’ll be less able to handle the stress of work and home.
• Stop procrastinating. You’ll frequently spend more energy fretting over not doing a project than actually doing it. So eliminate the worry and just get started. Find the right balance in your hectic life